- Observation of additional private communication not possible.
Such background communication can nevertheless influence list discussions.
- In most cases the majority of subscribed members remains passiv
(engl: "lurker", jap: "ROM")
- The Internet user population is not representative for the population
thus limitation of generalisability within certain approaches
- Less social cues about the participants than "in real life"
- Arbitrary construction of virtual persone possible
- One mail address does not mean one person.
Behind one e-mail address there may well be several people,
other lists or software agents.
- e.g. there maybe a group of people behind a wellknown and active figure called
Tomoyuki" (cf. discussions in soc.culture.japan etc.)
- Anonymisers allow to remove tracability
- Spammers, off-topic posters and others may distort the picture
when doing automatic evalutaion
this URL: http://www.irene-langner.de/docs/19991122/limitations.html
Last modified: 1999-11-22